Skip to main content

Gratitude Attitudes Becoming Practice

I'm currently reading an amazing book. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. Your Guide To A Wholehearted Life by 
I highly recommend it.  In part of the book she speaks about Gratitude Attitudes and since I'm in the midst of a 365 on Gratitude Attitudes I wanted to share a part of what she says about them and the practice of Gratitude.
"For years, I subscribed to the notion of an 'attitude of gratitude.'  I've since learned that an attitude is an orientation or a way of thinking and that 'having an attitude' doesn't always translate to a behavior....So, what does a gratitude practice look like?  The folks I interviewed talked about keeping gratitude journals, doing daily gratitude meditations or prayers, creating gratitude art, and even stopping during their stressful, busy days to actually say these words out loud: 'I am grateful for...'  When the Wholehearted talk about gratitude, there are a whole bunch of verbs involved.  It seems that gratitude without practice may be a little like faith without works - it's not alive."
(Kindle Edition - 1351/1352)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Call it a Day

The literal use of this phrase hails from 1838 when the phrase originally was "call it half a day" to mean leaving work early. (source) The modern use of the phrase is to indicate ending something due to false sense of accomplishment.