Skip to main content

For Sunday, April 21: What's the impression you are leaving behind?

The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy.  Kalu Ndukwe Kalu

I've talked about legacies before.  It's a favorite topic of mine and something I think about often.  I think about it as I get older and people in my life start to pass on and I go to their memorial services and listen to what is said about them.  What is said about them when they are gone indicates what kind of legacy they have left behind.  Yesterday (Saturday) I attended the memorial service of an old co-worker who, in perfect health, passed away very suddenly last week.  We all were shocked, stunned, and at a loss as to how and why he passed.  His family is so heartbroken.  But they gave beautiful tributes to the legacy he left behind.  He was a good Dad, a good man that had strong work ethic and integrity, a dedicated  and loving husband for the length of his wife's days (she passed a few years ago from a horrible disease).  He modeled Philippians 2:1-5.  He was known for doing for others before doing for himself.  And because of that he leaves behind a legacy that will be carried out through his son and daughter and their families.  See, what we do to further ourselves, to protect ourselves, to see ourselves gain will dissipate with time and will only serve to leave behind the memory of selfishness.  But what we do to further others, to protect others, to see others succeed will be a model for others to follow and will continue on long after we are gone from this life.  I don't know about you but I'd rather be known once I leave this life for modeling Philippians 2:1-5 than for being selfish and self-absorbed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Call it a Day

The literal use of this phrase hails from 1838 when the phrase originally was "call it half a day" to mean leaving work early. (source) The modern use of the phrase is to indicate ending something due to false sense of accomplishment.