Skip to main content

August 24, 2015

1944 Vesuvius Eruption
Vesuvius Day
You may not recognize this volcano but you may recognize the destruction it has caused.  Vesuvius is the famous volcano that buried Pompeii and created a fascinating account of history in 79 A.D. The town and residents of Pompeii were buried in ashfall that came from a very sudden explosion within Vesuvius.
Lanny with Vesuvius in the background
In the summer of 2012 my Dad took his family, all 10 of us at the time, to Italy.  We were able to visit Pompeii and see Vesuvius in the distance. My brothers and sister-in-love, along with my nephew, even hiked part of it before coming into Pompeii.
Pompeii's obliteration is a fascination that continues throughout time.  A whole entire town and most of its residents buried in mere minutes.  And what the ash preserved is rather incredible. It has created quite a curiosity as excavations continue.  There was a movie made last year centered on Pompeii. Then there's the song by Bastille.
What would happen if Mount Vesuvius erupted today?
A true eyewitness account of Vesuvius exploding in 79 A.D. 

Knife Day
A very brief history of the Knife
Wow, if you can't find the knife you are looking for on this site then it probably doesn't exist.

Pluto Demoted Day
My youngest daughter is very offended on Pluto's behalf.  She is aghast that a planet would be demoted.  I will say that Pluto's demotion ruins my schooling back in the day about space and planets.  The mnemonics we learned to memorize the order of the planets no longer make sense. *wink* And it seems my daughter wasn't the only one upset about Pluto's declassification. 6 Angry Letters Kids Sent Neil deGrasse Tyson About Pluto  Hahahahaha!


Pluto’s big comeback: Why it could be reclassified as a planet (May 2014)
Pluto Is a Planet Again. Sorta. (October 2014)

The good news is that Pluto showed everyone what's up in July (2015) when the spacecraft New Horizons did a fly by and captured new pictures and data. What was captured fascinated us all over again and most importantly Pluto let everyone know that it still has the love for the universe.  *wink*

Pluto July 2015


International Strange Music Day
Huh.  The links I pulled up about strange music seemed to be centered on hip-hop and various sub-genres of rap. Not really sure what to say about this day's celebration. I think I may pass...you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Affirmation Day 288

Walk Your Own Path, Do It Your Own Way Walking Your Own Damn Path