Skip to main content

For Sunday, January 20: Burned up and out

Burnout: "A person being in a state of fatigue or disillusionment brought about by a dedication to a way of life which failed to bring the expected reward."  Freudenberger

Feeling burned up and out?  What do you think has led up to that?  I know what leads up to mine.  And I think oftentimes, much as I don't want to admit it, Freudenberger might be right.  Perhaps "type A's" can relate to this more than "type B's or C's".  When I extend myself on behalf of a project, a task, a person, a group, etc and the end result (expected reward?  maybe at times...) isn't good, desirable, meted out, etc then I do feel burned up and burned out.  What to do then?  No seriously.  What to do?  Lower expectations of course.  Examine motivations for doing whatever I was doing for whomever I was doing it in the first place.  And even though I do those things I still experience burn out and burn up from time to time.  It's when I think my "type A" personality becomes more of a curse than a blessing to people in my life.  Until burn out I'm generally viewed as a blessing but once burn out occurs I'm pretty sure I'm just an annoyance!  It's okay, I recognize that about myself so it's not like it's a newsflash!  And because I do recognize it about myself and because I want to be more of a blessing than an annoyance I am learning what I need to do and say so that my burn out doesn't negatively impact others.  Sometimes I succeed, other times I fail.  
What about you?  Is burned up and out something you experience?  Why?  Does Freudenberger's quote ring true in some ways in your life or or you scratching your head wondering what burn out is?  *grin*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Affirmation Day 288

Walk Your Own Path, Do It Your Own Way Walking Your Own Damn Path