Skip to main content

The privilege of age

Do not regret growing older.  It is a privilege denied to many.  Unknown

I love growing older.  I do!  Ask people who know me well.  There is no age I dread.  Oh I don't necessarily like the part of growing older than includes aches and pains in the body in places you never knew existed.  But I love growing older.  One reason I talked about yesterday.  Other reasons would be the life experience that I have now feeds into my day to day life and I love that; I've also gained perspective on people, situations, circumstances, etc; I'm much more settled in my skin - in who I am and what kind of things I have to offer the people in my world.  All good reasons to love growing older.
I'm sorry for those who dread the aging process.  I'm sorry that they can't appreciate the bigger picture and the wealth of life that growing older provides (and I'm not talking about material wealth!).
When people moan and groan about getting older I think of people like my lifelong bestie who made it to 34 and then passed very quickly and suddenly.  My guess is she would trade with someone who thinks they don't want to grow older.  She left behind a husband and three girls I'm positive she would love to be with.  She was denied the privilege of living life with the people who loved her and continuing that journey of growing into her own skin.
Don't regret what growing older provides.  Many have been denied its pleasures.


Sarah, approximately 5 months before she passed.  
She didn't know she was sick, that's how quickly life passes us by.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Affirmation Day 281