Skip to main content

Sleep it off

A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything.  Irish Proverb

I think todays' quote/proverb speaks to me because I haven't been sleeping well.  So a long sleep, a nap, sounds great right about now.  :)
Actually I really do think this proverb holds some truth.  Sometimes a good nap gives us fresh or new perspective.  And we all know how good laughter is for the soul.  As another proverb says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine but a broken spirit saps a person's strength." (attributed to King Solomon)  Sometimes all we need is a good gut busting laugh and/or a nap. 
A few years back I was back and forth on a decision for months.  I just couldn't decide how to handle a particular situation.  It was troubling just below the surface of my life and I had lost perspective on the best way to handle it.  One afternoon I was hit with an exhaustion that made me take a rare nap.  I think I had slept for about 20 minutes and my eyes suddenly popped open and I had a clarity about this situation.  I knew exactly what I was supposed to do and how.  I jumped up and got 'er done.  And you know what?  It was the perfect solution to the problem.  That nap was exactly what I needed to finally give me some fresh perspective. 
I'm a big believer in allowing sleep to help our minds clear and our hearts rest.  Usually that takes us a long way in "curing" whatever ails us.  And I don't need to sell anyone on having a good, hard laugh to lighten up our spirits. 
Feeling burdened?  Find someone or something that gives you a good laugh and try napping!  It will do wonders for your soul. 

*Bonus read!  Check out this article on napping and it's benefits! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Affirmation Day 281