Skip to main content

The Generous Mr. Lovewell


One of my favorite albums of the past year, maybe of all time, is Mercy Me's "The Generous Mr. Lovewell".  The title track of the album is a description of my heart, my desire, the way I want to live and the way I want to be known. 

So many times we stop short of extending ourselves because we somehow have been convinced that if the gesture isn't "big" enough or "grand" enough then it isn't even worth doing anything.  Where did this crap idea come from?  From the bigger is better society we live in?  Well it's crap.  Yeah, I said it.  I have found, just in the past month or so, that the smallest gesture of kindness, the smallest act of compassion, whatever it is I have been compelled to do and yet think is small has made the BIGGEST impact.  Bigger is not better in most cases.  I always knew that even the smallest gesture we make could make a huge difference to someone else but I have really seen it as I purposely practice daily.  A tootsie roll smile, in the words of one recipient, "makes my day"!  Seriously?  I was just being goofy, silly, light-hearted and what I thought was "small" was actually huge in this person's day. 

Love isn't or shouldn't be about the size of the gesture, the grandness of the moment, the monetary value of the act.  Love is about how well we each do it.  How WELL do you love?  It is the smallest things that make the greatest changes.  Want to change your world?  Then love well.  

The Generous Mr. Lovewell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 281

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits