Skip to main content

Don't judge a book by its cover


There is not a clear origin for this common phrase but there are a few ideas. 

One source says the expression goes back to at least the mid-19th century, as seen in the newspaper Piqua Democrat, June 1867:

"Don't judge a book by its cover, see a man by his cloth, as there is often a good deal of solid worth 
and superior skill underneath a [???] jacket and yaller pants."

Other ideas are found here.

The expression is meant to convey that often what someone or something looks like isn't representative of the truth of who they are or what it is. Like Susan Boyle, below. Simon dismissed her because of how she looks...until she opened her mouth. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Affirmation Day 281