Skip to main content

Let her rip

It's not clear where this phrase originates from.

It was written in the Farmington Enterprise newspaper from 1809, where a man is relating to another about his time at the circus:
"'Say,' said Tommy, 'did I ever tell you about the circus we had at our house the other night?'
  'No,' said I, settling back in my chair, 'let her rip.' "

In a book titled Out West, published in 1910, the phrase is used with its 'go faster' meaning,
"Git up more steam--this ain't a funeral! Let her rip! Don't mind the speed limit! Keep the whistle going!"

So the phrase has two different meanings, one is with speed and the other is with starting something.
Well, there is another meaning which I have no idea where it came from but it has to do with a bodily function. Yeah, you know what that meaning is.

It's unfortunate that the only good graphics or memes I could find to illustrate this phrase is this one...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.

Affirmation Day 273

Don’t quit - replace: The key to changing your habits for good Change Any Habit Painlessly How to Change Unhealthy Habits

Affirmation Day 288

Walk Your Own Path, Do It Your Own Way Walking Your Own Damn Path