Skip to main content

Lord, I Want To Be A Christian

Would you agree with me that in today's society the word "Christian" carries some negative connotations?  I generally shy away from the word and prefer instead to use "believer" or "follower of Jesus".  But the Early Church were called Christians and I sure don't want to put that important and vital part of Church history on the backburner.  So I have found myself trying to reconcile to the term in light of today's culture.  Today's culture sure makes it hard for a lover of God to follow him as he has laid out in the Bible.  This hymn kind of addresses that, or at least in my perspective it does. 
Before we can be the things we want to be - the hands and feet of Jesus, loving, Holy, etc - we have to first allow them to be a true part of us in our hearts.  What is in our hearts comes out - no matter if it is "good" or "bad".  Or to state that more biblically, "A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of."  (Luke 6:45)  So if I want to be a Christian then I first must reconcile all that it entails to be one in my heart so then my external life - and mouth - can communicate that. 
Lord, I want to be a Christian - in all the ways YOU laid out.  Forget culture and society and their definitions, I only want to be one according to YOUR definition! 

Lord, I Want To Be A Christian (Yolanda Adams)
Lord, I Want To Be A Christian (Leeland)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships