Skip to main content

October 10, 2015


October 10, 1974 - 45 days after I was born - Sarah was born. Our parents had double dated, been in each other's weddings, pregnant Mama's rubbed their bellies together. We were the kind of family that can be deeper than blood.  
Today Sarah would be 41 years old. (For Sarah's story click here.)
I will celebrate her life by drinking an Arnold Palmer, baking her scone recipe, and watching a few episodes of The Office, the last show she loved to watch before she flew away to be with Jesus. Oh I'll probably run the vacuum too, she LOVED to vacuum - for real!  I love you Sarah. 





In America we generally call it oatmeal, other countries call it porridge. Doesn't matter what it's called, it's just yummy!  I am a big fan of oatmeal, I know lots of people who have texture issues with it - I'm so sad for them!  :)  And I have only ever made porridge with oatmeal but I have learned that it can be other grains and cereals - yay!
I love that porridge is versatile.  It can be savory or sweet.  I usually have it 'sweet' and usually only for breakfast. But I found some savory recipes that look delicious, here's one that makes my mouth water.
Here are some other savory recipes.  My mouth is watering, I am definitely making some of these!
10 brilliant, easy ways to pimp your porridge
Ten healthiest porridge toppings
If you are in NYC, stop by Oatmeals for sweet and savory options. YUM!

Cake Decorating Day
I always thought it would be fun to take a cake decorating class. Not for any business kind of reason but for fun, for family parties and such.  So maybe today I'll do something about it. Maybe today I will hunt down an affordable class to take, anyone want to join me?  (Of course, you have to be in my area to join me but there's plenty of you around!)
Ah! It's this book!
In fact, my Mama made 2 cakes for my 1 year old birthday
and this cake was one of them.
My Mama has this super old cut-out cakes book, it's falling apart and I love it. Throughout the redheads early years I would use it as a guide to make cakes. Here's some of my attempts, which I'm kinda happy with!

I love cake decorating so much that I created a Pinterest board just for cakes I found that amazed me. Check these out!

I've also made a sailboat, castle, barn, and cat face cut-out cakes.

Aw!
My Mama made me an
Angel cut out cake for my 2nd birthday. 

Butterfly Cut Out Cake
Guitar Cut Out Cake


Hug a Drummer Day
14 Drummers To Hug
Here's the drummer our family loves to hug!
Our friend TJ. He's amazing!












World Homeless Day
There are so many reasons for homelessness. And those reasons vary by country even. Let's not make assumptions and snap judgements about the homeless we see, let's just advocate for their basic human rights.
The History and Purpose of WHD
5 Ways To Take Action
This City Came Up With a Simple Solution to Homelessness: Housing
Tiny Houses for the Homeless: An Affordable Solution Catches On
25 Cities (Globally) With Extremely High Homeless Populations
Top Causes of Homelessness in America
Ten Facts about Being Homeless in USA
A roof is not enough : A look at homelessness worldwide
11 Ways To Advocate For The Homeless

Handbag Day
The History of the Handbag
Oldest handbag in history unearthed: 700-YEAR-OLD clutch goes on display for the first time



Universal Music Day
'The Power Of Music' To Affect The Brain
'Alive Inside' Celebrates The Healing Power Of Music

These are precious, heartwarming, and inspiring videos about the power of music.




The Power of Music for Mental Health
The Influence of Music on Child Behavior
Does Music and Lyrical Content Influence Human Behavior?

National Angel Food Cake Day
What kind of cake is Angel Food Cake?
The stuff at the store is gross, unless you like styrofoam.
Make your own, it will be worth it!
Strawberry-Cream Angel Food Cake Recipe
25 Heavenly Angel Food Cake Recipes
Angel Food Cake Topping Ideas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

The End of Affirmation 365

I've been thinking about it for over a month. Usually, when I'm in it I'm engaged. But this time? I started it indifferent and I've felt indifferent all along. I should have never started. Hindsight is 20/20 they say and they aren't wrong. So when I opened my eyes this morning it was clear. It's time. Time to quit this 365. This is the first 365 that I haven't posted several of the days, the first 365 that I wasn't super excited about, the first 365 that I've quit. I've changed my social media presence and interactions the past year so this is also the first 365 that hardly anyone has been interested in. Is it the topic or my decision to not be as accessible on social media? Or is it some other reason altogether? Well, regardless...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. I can't say if I'll ever do another 365 again. Time will tell and I will know if and when it's time.