Skip to main content

500 Miles

I love this song.  I'm not sure when I first heard it but it might have been in the Benny & Joon movie (which The Proclaimers video shows clips from) or it might have been before that.  It doesn't really matter because the point is I LOVE THIS SONG!!
500 miles is a fun song. It's got a great beat, it's fun to bop around to and the lyrics make all women swoon hoping they can land a man who will promise to be the man for them.  :)  It's a great song.  It happened to be a one-hit wonder with The Proclaimers but it turned out to be a huge hit with everyone else!  It has been done and re-done more times than anyone may be able to track. 
It popped into my head this morning as I was reviewing in my mind, and heart, a recent convo with a friend going through a divorce.  There's no judgement coming from me at all, the question entered my mind, "When do you suddenly stop walking those 500 miles toward the other person?  Is it when you realize they have stopped walking 500 miles toward you?"  See, my friend isn't the first of people I know to go through divorce.  It makes my heart sad for people on both sides.  Marriage isn't easy, anyone who has been married past, oh, a month knows that!  We come into our marriages with pasts - past wounds, past issues, past relationships that don't have closure, etc and all those pasts impact our presents and even our futures!  Marriages require both people walking 500 miles toward one another and in the same direction together.  Like my sister-in-law says, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon.  Oh I promise there's no judgement coming from me.  I get it.  Some days it's hard to put one step in front of the other and walk forward even a foot much less the miles that marriage requires!  But enough of my musings on the topic of marriage.
Today, for your listening enjoyment, I have included the version (original) from The Proclaimers and then I HAD to include the version from "my" Steven Curtis Chapman! 
Have fun! 

500 Miles The Proclaimers
500 Miles Steven Curtis Chapman (you aren't really surprised by this inclusion are you?!?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships