Skip to main content

September 20, 2015

National Women's Friendship Day
A landmark study by UCLA suggests that friendships between women are special. They shape who we are and who we are yet to be. They soothe our tumultuous inner world, fill the emotional gaps in our marriage, and help us remember who we really are. But they may do even more. (source)

On Women's Friendship Day: Five Ways to Make Yourself a Keeper

Here are some ideas of how to celebrate your women friends:
  • Throw a Friendship Party
  • Send a card or short note to your best friend telling her how much she means to you.
  • Celebrate your relationship over high tea or coffee.
  • Remember a special friend with a book of poetry or fiction.
  • Send a card, and perhaps a photo, to a faraway friend.
  • Plan a girls' night out. Go see a movie. Make reservations for dinner.
  • Visit a spa together. Make appointments for manicures. Get makeovers.
  • Reconnect with a childhood friend with whom you've lost contact.
  • Sign up for a cooking or gardening class.
  • Plan an adventure. Go hiking, hot-air ballooning, white water rafting, etc.
  • Start up a book club with close friends.
  • Send flowers to your mother, sister or other relative who has also been a good friend to you.
  • Hand out goodie bags to your female coworkers. Include a note about National Women's Friendship Day.
  • Record a cassette tape or CD with songs that remind you of your friendship with a particular woman. Send the recording along with a short note to your friend.
  • Make a photo album or a scrapbook that celebrates your friendship.
  • Use your special talents or hobbies to make your friend a meaningful gift.
  • Take cards and home-baked cookies to your friends and female neighbors.
  • Throw a party or potluck with your closest women friends.
  • Plan a weekend with your former college roommate in your college town. Visit the library. Attend a football game. Go to your old hangout.
  • Make plans with your good friends to volunteer at a women's shelter, soup kitchen or child advocacy program.
  • Make a new friend!
Punch Day
Party Punch Recipes - you could make one of these for the Women's Friendship Party you are throwing! *wink*
Punch Recipes for everyone; non-alcoholic, ice cream/sherbet based, fruity, juice, etc.

Wife Appreciation Day
Since I'm a wife it's a bit weird for me to be suggesting tips on how to appreciate wives. Or maybe since I am a wife, here's what I'll say to the fellas about wife appreciation - appreciate her in a way that she feels appreciated - not in a way that you think is good.  For example, I know of a married couple that celebrated the wife's birthday. The husband planned a whole birthday surprise for her...doing everything he wanted to do. Not taking into consideration what she would like.  Really? So the birthday that was supposed to celebrate her was actually for him and his likes.  REALLY? Dudes, don't be like that guy.  If the thing that would make her feel the most appreciated is doing a High Tea then do that, don't try and make her feel appreciated at the Monster Truck Rally.  I'm just sayin'.  Man up and take her to the High Tea, today isn't about you.

All that being said...

Here's a question that I ask myself when I know it's time to be honest, "Beth, are you being the wife your hub can appreciate?"  Maybe you want to ask yourself the same question, like the author of this article did.  The Day I Realized I Was No Longer The Woman My Husband Wanted
I don't ask myself the question as a way of beating myself up, acting like a martyr, or submitting to some stupid teaching the evangelical church has tried to burden women with. I ask myself because I know. I know I am not easy to live with. I know I snap more than I don't. I know I'm selfish, asking for my needs or wants to be met but being too lazy to do the same for him.  And there's a million other different ways in which I'm not easy to live with.  So I have to ask myself if I'm being the kind of wife my hub can appreciate and wants to.
So if today you were brave and asked yourself the question I ask myself and discovered the answer wasn't "yes" then do whatever you know you need to do so that you will be a wife your hub can appreciate.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships