Skip to main content

What are you working for?

Work for a cause, not for applause.  Live life to express, not to impress.  Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.  Unknown

Whenever we work toward something and the motive is impure it will end up failing or backfiring on us.  I observed many times in my own life and others the fall out of impure motives.
When we, you and I, work for applause the cause suffers because out attention is focused on ourselves and not the cause.  When we, you and I, live life trying to impress others we forget to express our individuality and find ourselves becoming a clone of whomever we are with at the time.  It's unfortunate that most people are impressed by people who act just like them, I suggest we start turning that around.  Express who you really are, if enough of us begin to do that then maybe that is what will end up impressing others!  Even if it doesn't I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you express your true self no matter what.
When we, you and I, do things to make sure we are noticed we run the risk of being labeled obnoxious, insecure, high maintenance, etc.  And I think you know what I mean by doing things to make sure you get noticed.  I know someone who inserts themselves into every conversation, whether they are a part of it or not.  This same person fights for control to be the one who knows everything about everyone, they seek to be the "expert".  This person has earned themselves the label nosy, rude, obnoxious.  And all because they are insecure and have a need to be noticed.  They strive to make their presence noticed so that their absence is a relief.  Ouch.  That's not the kind of absence felt I'd like to leave with people.  I'd rather be so steady and consistent in character and service to others that my absence is felt when I can't be available.  It's nice to be missed for the right reasons.
I've answered the question in my own heart and mind, in fact I do on almost a daily basis.  Now it's your turn.  What are you working for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships