Skip to main content

I'm defined by how I speak of you

Judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are.  Unknown

Ouch.  Ever since I first read this quote a few months back it keeps haunting me.  Not that I don't know the truth behind it already but the way it is phrased keeps pinging me.
I think a lot of times we all speak something about someone and without realizing it we are judging them.  I know I am guilty of this.  It usually hits me about midnight or 2 am, when I'm in a dead sleep.  My eyes pop open and I inwardly groan at the judgement I had passed on someone earlier in the day.  I swear my conscience does this running review all night long while I'm asleep and can't defend or rather justify myself!
Where I get stuck is when it is true about the person! No seriously.  There are some people out there that are idiots, for one reason or another.  Or they are jerks, for one reason or another.  Or they are fill in the blank, for one reason or another.  In cases of truth I wonder if it comes down to several things: choosing to acknowledge the truth about that person at all (I think a wise person would know to hold their tongue and practice some self-discipline in pointing out this truth - obviously I'm still working at this one and haven't gotten close, OY!), tone of voice when speaking of or to this person, not being able to see past the one truth of this person to the other truth that they also are a person of worth and value just like I am, etc.  Is anyone else tracking with me?  
Here's the truth about me judging others as idiots, jerks, etc.  I'm also an idiot, jerk, fill in the blank in someones world/life.  I am.  You are too.  If I could remember that more often it would probably, no it would, change the way I think of others.  I would be compassionate with them instead of judging them.  I'd treat them with the same care I want to be treated by those who think I am an idiot, jerk, fill in the blank.  I don't want to be defined as an idiot, jerk, fill in the blank when my life is said and done.  I don't want to be remembered, dead or alive, as any of those things but rather as someone who cares/d and loves/d others well even when they acts/ed like an idiot, jerk, fill in the blank.  We all act like that at times but it is not who we are.  But if we pass that kind of judgement off on others too much it becomes how we are known.  No thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships