Skip to main content

Turning the complaints into compliments

People rush to complain but pause to compliment.  Letra Davis

Ever notice this?  I didn't realize how true it is until I read it put this way!
Somewhere along the way of life we were taught to speak in the negative rather than the positive.  It's rare to hear optimism these days, the norm is negativity and if someone chooses to go against the grain and focus on positivity they are labeled "weird" or "annoying".  I know that I annoy some people at my workplace with my cheerfulness.  Not that I am Miss Positive all the time but as the "face of YL" (i.e. the first face guests see when they enter our building) I am cheerful and pleasant more often than not.  And I am that way with our employees as well.  Some of them are bugged big time by it.  It's kinda funny really so with them I am usually extra cheerful. :) (How's that for revenge?!)  The ones bugged by it are the ones who are typical of today's quote - they are the complainers and very rarely the complimenters.  I, even before reading these wise words, am the opposite.  I try to be mindful of what's coming out of my mouth (and heart) and I purpose to compliment, or be positive, more than I complain.  Some days I fail, others I succeed but I'm always aware.  Even on my failure days I'm aware.  And being aware is half the battle right? Or so I'm told.  
As far as complimenting, or being positive about someone or something, is it gonna kill you to be upbeat for once?  I mean really!  It's the hardest for me to be positive or complimenting toward someone who annoys me.  So I'm issuing a challenge to myself and you today.  Compliment someone who bugs you.  Find something, because there is something, that you can thank them for - praise them for - acknowledge them for, and tell them.  I already hate this challenge and it may take me all day to come up with something for my person but darn it, I'm gonna do it and you should to!  The rub is that we are all *that* person in someones world, we all bug someone.  So what would change if we rushed to compliment and paused to complain?  I imagine there would be quite a few changes, some of which we couldn't even dream up.  So let's together purpose to turn our complaints around into compliments and then watch to see what might happen.   

(If I start getting some compliments or praise today after I see people have read this I will be suspicious... *grin*.  No, I know I'm annoying and for way more reasons than my cheerfulness at the front desk of YL. Somewhere out there my husband just said, "Amen." Ha!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships