Skip to main content

Listening 101

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.  Stephen Covey

Listening is one of the most important skills we can I have I think.  And if we can teach ourselves to listen with the intent to understand then we are golden.  But in order to do that I think we have to override the culture in which we live.  In America (I can't speak for other countries) we have been taught (through non-verbals but modeling) to listen to reply/react.  We haven't been shown how to listen for understanding.  Oh we may say we are trying to but really we aren't.  How do I know?  What makes me so confident?  Try this.  The next time someone is talking check yourself.  Are you thinking of rebuttals, replies, defenses, comments, etc that you can make when it is your turn to talk?  It's okay.  Be honest, nobody but you knows your answer but we all know the answer because 99% of us have to same one.  So now that you see it try this.  The next time someone is talking, actively listen to them and stop yourself from thinking of rebuttals, replies, defenses, comments, etc.  Who knows what could happen!  Btw, this is what the difference between a good counselor and one who isn't.  A good counselor doesn't listen to reply but listens to understand.  I've had both in my life and the counselor who listened to me with the intent to reply ended up betraying my trust on several levels because I didn't recognize until too late what they were doing.  That's a lesson I always take away from this reminder as well.  Listening to understand brings healing, listening to reply wounds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships