Skip to main content

Day 185: Awareness

"Nothing happens just because we are aware of modern-day slavery, but nothing will EVER happen until we are."

Today is #enditmovement day.  Draw a red X on your hand and when people look or ask tell them about the 27 million modern slaves in the world today.  Be their voice since theirs has been silenced. It's not the only kind of awareness day. Another one is coming up on March 22, World Water Day.  We have AIDS awareness days, Earth Day, etc. A friend came to me this morning and said she needed to discuss this whole red X thing.  "What good does it do? Doesn't it just show people enslaved that we can draw red X's on our hands and post them on Facebook?"  I've heard it before. And it's a legit question to ask - how do you choose what awareness movements to be a part of so that something like Koni2012 doesn't happen again? (It's the first one that came to mind)  Which ones are legit and which ones are just meant to cause a bunch of hype that has zero action behind it? Her question to me was/is fair.  In fact, if it's also been your question - spoken or not - then here's my answer. 
It absolutely is beneficial to participate in movements like today's, or any of the ones I mentioned above or didn't mention but are known. The reason why is because movements like a red X on my hand does bring awareness to those who are ignorant about the particular issue.  Someone sees the red X and I tell them why I have marked myself and then they know. Now.  What they choose to do with that information isn't up to me, my only goal is to make as many people as I can aware of the issue.  Chances are good that at least one person will take what I share, research it further, and then act on it. Chances are also good that the more I share it the more I am prompted to further action myself.  After my friend and I talked about awareness and how it IS beneficial when it isn't just hype I saw the quote I put at the top of this post and I thought, "How perfect."  
This is a long way of saying that today I am grateful for awareness toward injustices in our world. I am grateful that there are people and organizations out there committed to being on the front lines on whatever injustice has caught their heart.  I am grateful because it gives me an opportunity to join in the campaign for awareness, it gives me an opportunity to make contributions in monetary and physical ways toward ending the particular injustice, and it gives me an opportunity to expand my worldview and learn about all the injustice this world holds. I'm not grateful for the injustices but I am grateful to know of them and explore within myself and with my community how I can partner with those on the front lines to see injustice come to an end and justice become a reality.

There is no way I could list all of the organizations that are dedicated to seeing injustice come to an end but here are a few to check out. (I recommend always checking them out in Charity Navigator as well to make sure you are partnering with a reliable organization that has proven good stewardship and integrity.)
enditmovement.com
warinternational.org
ijm.org
love146.org
thea21campaign.org
polarisproject.org
restoreinternational.org
restoreinnocence.org
freetheslaves.net
compassion.com

What organizations do YOU know about and can recommend?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships