Skip to main content

Does the simpler life "scare" you?

Going back to a simpler life is not a step backward.  Yvon Chouinard

For a few years I have been trying to reduce the busyness of our family life and return to a simpler way of living.  Admittedly I haven't done a great job, my family isn't necessarily on board most of the time, but it's on my radar and I am making slow but sure steps to go back to a simpler life.  I'm not the only one who seems to be craving this.  Recently a friend announced that from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday (it's not coincidence in my mind that the time they choose is Sabbath but that's a whole different conversation) their family is resting from electronics; to include cell phones, computer, video games, etc. I applauded her and her family for their attempt to regain some of the simplicity of life.  See, even though I participate in my fair share of social media, electronic interactions, etc I am not that big a fan of this age we live in.  I happen to believe that the technology we have today is as much a curse in our lives as it is a blessing.  It has made certain things easier but it has made life much more difficult because we are never unplugged.  Staying plugged in creates complication, chaos, lack of space.  We all would be wise to take some steps to return to a simpler life...at least a day or two a week.  I bet all of us would be amazed at the difference it would make the rest of the week, month, year.  And it wouldn't be a step backward but amazingly enough a step forward.  It would provide for us a chance to have real face-to-face interaction with people, a space to breath deep and accustom ourselves with noises others than dings and beeps, a chance to play and let loose, and several other things.  
How do you feel about this topic?  Have you been feeling rushed and stressed?  Have you been craving a simpler life but aren't sure how to go about it?  Maybe my friend's choice that I mentioned above is something you can try, or maybe it provides a springboard for other ways you can attempt to return to some simpler ways.  Don't be afraid of a simpler life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships