Skip to main content

Make an exchange

Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.  Corrie ten Boom

Today's quote is a timely one for me.  On several levels and for several reasons.  But you don't need to hear about all *that*.  :) 
I've been working on my worry-wart ways for a few years now.  It's not always easy to not worry but it sure is stressful and unsettling to worry!  I always know when I've entered into worry - my heart rate changes, my palms/pits (ha, tmi?) get clammy, my mind creates "what if" scenarios, I'm agitated, and my stomach is knotted in a big ball of ick.  So when I find myself entering worry I have to remind myself to breathe deep, calm down, wait to hear all the facts - or as many as I will get to find out, and most importantly TRUST the One who holds all in his hands.  The fact is that God is bigger than anything causing my worrying.  He is bigger than people's egos that might be creating a situation that is worrisome (yes, my ego is included in there).  He is bigger than the wrongs being committed.  He is bigger than any of it. 
I've been trying to exchange my worry for prayer.  When I start to worry I stop myself and pray instead.  Most often the prayer first is, "God please help me not to worry" and then we go on from there!  :) 
Worry is one of the most powerful depleters of strength.  Look at all I put myself through when I choose worry.  I am depleted of physical strength, mental strength, emotional strength and spiritual strength.  I'm guessing these depletions aren't unique to me, it's a human response to worry. 
So today (or tomorrow or any day in the future) if something happens that prompts worry to begin to stir in your spirit I encourage you to instead pray and go from there.  That's where I'm finding myself these days, exchanging worry for prayer and trust. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships