Skip to main content

Creativity

To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.  Joseph Chilton Pearce

A true creative person who is moved by the mediums and colors and methods that catch their eye cannot be wrong.  I immediately think of Andy Warhol.  He obviously did not fear being wrong.  :)  And while perhaps his creative works aren't what I would do or what I'm even drawn to I can see that he was extremely creative, talented, and did not fear what other people thought of his works.  Because he was free from that fear he was free to express himself through his chosen creative method.  
I think most often we first have to get over the fear that whatever we feel we want to be creative about is wrong, especially if it doesn't fit in the box of what culture says is the definition of creative arts.  Then, once we have determined that our desired expression of creativity is okay, we have to tackle being afraid of "doing it wrong".  Newsflash:  even the greats (at whatever they are known for being great at) have missteps, have to learn a different method, etc.  For them, because they don't fear being wrong, learning something that will enhance their creative life is fun.  GASP!  Instead of striving for unrealistic perfection and not accepting constructive criticism because its wounding try instead looking at it as FUN!!  What a concept, I mean really.  *grin*
In case you hadn't guessed, my creative expression is writing.  I've got a few others but the biggie for me is writing.  I have to really slay the dragons of fear more often than not.  Especially when someone else, who doesn't really know me at all, is reading my stuff for the purposes of constructive criticism.  I go through seasons where I don't write because I can't figure out how to get over the whole "not being wrong" thing.  But, as is true with anyone who has a creative life living inside of them clawing to get out, I eventually return to writing even if the dragons are still breathing down my neck.  I have to.  I am compelled to.  It is intrinsically part of who I am and how I am wired to express myself.  
Maybe it's writing.  Maybe it's playing a musical instrument.  Maybe it's drawing or painting.  Maybe - oh gosh here I am going out of the box - it's organizing things in creative ways that nobody has ever thought of.  Maybe - warning, I'm out of the box again on this one - it's teaching someone something (and goodness knows we could all use more creative teachers - I'm serious!).  Maybe it's creating savory and/or sweet dishes that brings smiles to faces and make taste buds dance.  Maybe it's working with a camera.  Etc etc etc.  Get creative about what you can be creative with! 
In what ways does creativity poke at you and ask to "come out and play"?  Are you stuffing it down, telling it to go away because you fear you are wrong, the creativity is wrong, the method is wrong, etc?  Would you take a chance on it today?  
Allow yourself to live a creative life, we all have it in us, let it loose!  :)  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships