Skip to main content

Live Like a Vigilante!

Keep vigilant watch over your heart;
that's where life starts.
Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth;
avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip.
Keep your eyes straight ahead;
ignore all sideshow distractions.
Watch your step,
and the road will stretch out smooth before you.
Look neither right nor left;
leave evil in the dust.

Proverbs 4:23-27 (MSG)

Easier said than done, right?  Especially when you have to interact with other people on a daily basis!  This portion of Proverbs popped up for me and some co-workers at a time a few months back when things happening in our organization felt like a "sideshow distraction" or easily could have become one.  In addition when unsettling things happen, no matter where you are at, the mouths start running and without meaning to you find yourself sucked into talking out of both sides of your mouth.  I am way way guilty of this.  I start off great but the sideshow distracts me from what I know is right and I get sucked in.  I'm guessing a few of you out there may be nodding your heads in agreement right now - about me and perhaps about yourselves!  :)  

What strikes me right away with this proverb is the word "vigilant".  I know what it means but I really wanted to KNOW what it means so I looked it up.  Check it out: 

vig·i·lant

adj \ˈvi-jÉ™-lÉ™nt\
alertly watchful especially to avoid danger

Synonyms: Argus-eyedattentiveawakeobservant,open-eyedtenty (also tentie) [Scottish], alertwatchful,wide-awake
Antonyms: asleep

I'm pretty sure after skimming through the definition and then the synonyms and antonyms there's not much more I need to say.  :)  The key to the later exhortations on talking and sideshow distractions and traveling the road before you is vigilance.  And the above definition/word associations are a clear compass for how to be vigilant.  
The conclusion?  Simple.  Live your life as a vigilante!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships