Skip to main content

This Means War

Petra.  Oh man do I love me some Petra.  They were the first Christian Rock cassette tape I ever owned.  I clearly remember an old friend, Cara Vice, and I at the mall and she was looking for the tape and I had never heard of them.  She bought the tape and played it for me and that was all I needed to hear.  I was hooked!  In fact, I can still listen to this album (all this back in day terminology for music recordings! haha) and know every word and love every song just as much as I did back then.  Good stuff.  In fact, Petra had a huge influence on my spiritual journey because their songs made me think deeper about the things of God.  I mean it's not like the normal Sunday School stories talk about spiritual warfare and taking down the devil!  Don't want to scare the little kids, haha!  But the things Petra would sing about made me go deeper than the surface. I appreciate the nudges I got from listening to their music. 

On a serious note, Petra was one of the first Christian Rock Bands.  They really broke the idea of what Christian music was with their long hair, heavy guitar playing and loud music.  I'm sure that in Southern Baptist circles they were placed in the same category as dancing!  :)  To each their own BUT their influence reached far and wide and introduced a bunch of kids to a God they had never given much thought to before.  And really, that is what it is all about.  They broke into circles that hadn't been able to be crossed into prior to them.  It just goes to show you that music has a strong influence on people.  It can open closed doors and draw in people who just couldn't jive with such artists as Sandi Patti, Evie, and other popular Christian artists around that time period.  We can't expect kids who like a heavier beat to suddenly want to listen to Sandi Patti and get something out of it, but they would and did listen to Petra and got something out of it.  Awesome how God will use all types!  :) 

This Means War (Live)
This Means War (Not live!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships