Skip to main content

Stars and Stripes Forever

Veteran's Day.  THANK YOU men and women who have selflessly served our country and ensured our freedoms while putting your lives on the line.  The older I get the more I appreciate this service that has been performed. 

It hit me this morning that it's kind of like what Jesus did on the cross for us.  Jesus took on the punishment for my sins and paid the price for them and all I had to do was accept it.  I think about the conversation he and the thief on the cross next to him had and see this in a similar light.  Jesus said, "I'll take your sins on myself.  I'll do it."  The thief recognized the gift and said, "Okay."  Our men and women in military service to this country have said, "We'll do it.  We'll put our lives on the line, ourselves in harms way to gain freedoms for this country."  And us, the citizens, have said, "Okay."  Our men and women in the military deserve our gratitude, our helping hand when they return, our kindness.  Those who want to protest the wars and the military don't seem to realize that the only reason they are allowed to even open their mouths to protest is because someone has fought for that freedom!  No other country in the world has the freedom and ability to speak up and out as we do, to move freely around the country as we do, to worship according to personal preference the ways that we do, to dress in all the diverse ways that we do, etc etc.  I could go on and on.  It gets me riled when people sit around and complain about our military.  They are fighting for our FREEDOM.  Quit complaining and go down to your local Veteran's hall and extend some gratitude.  Sheesh!  But we've done that to Jesus also, haven't we?  (Oh, see how I'm returning and tying in?  Good one eh? Haha)  We sit around and complain that God doesn't do enough for us, that we don't like the kind of freedoms he offers us through life in him.  Jesus died for our FREEDOM.  So quit assuming you know what God wants out of you, find someone who will walk with you and show you what freedom in Christ really looks like and begin to be grateful for the gift, the FREE gift, that God has offered!  :) 

Back to Veteran's Day.  I LOVE John Phillips Sousa. That man was composed of patriotism through and through.  I remember years ago my brother, Paul, was in a musical about Sousa at his middle school and he was Sousa and ever since then I have had a deep affection for Sousa's music.  So today I have chosen Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever" as the main song of the day BUT I have included some bonus songs, very short, and I hope you'll take the time to listen to them.  I have included the songs for each military branch of the United States of America.  It takes great courage and great love for America to lay their lives on the line for this nation and its citizens, there is great pride within each branch and its "theme" song, as there should be. 

Take the time today to thank those - past and present - who have served this country and ensured our freedoms!

Stars and Stripes Forever

BONUS!
Our beloved Military branch songs.  Please take the time today to listen and appreciate the courage and national pride that makes up our military!  (These are all about 1 minute long, some much less)
The Marines Hymn (Happy Birthday USMC!  Their birthday was yesterday, November 10)
Air Force - Wild Blue Yonder
Navy - Anchors Aweigh
Army - The Army Goes Rolling Along
Coast Guard band playing our National Anthem

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships