Skip to main content

New York State Of Mind

Oh Piano Man!  While my Dad raised me on Beach Boys, The Letterman, The Temptations, etc my Mom raised me on Billy Joel!  And I love me some Billy.  His piano playing is beyond words, his songs are stories, and his voice is one of a kind.  I love the clip I included because at the beginning it shows just his hands playing the piano and it's awesome. 

I love this song.  I love it even more since I have been to NYC.  I am fortunate to be able to have reasons to visit NYC since my siblings live there!  And I LOVE NYC, I mean I love that city!  I love that you can only get the best of some things there.  Around the nation people may try to mimic NYC originals but nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to original NYC.  For example, salt bagels, cheesecake, black & white cookies, frozen hot chocolate, Broadway, Times Square, the energy, the people, and I could go on and on.  If you have never been there then in order to understand you need to go, if you have been there then you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. 

My first trip to NYC was just me and my brother, Paul, and his wife - my sister - Rebecca.  They showed me the city and it was a fantastic time and it is when I fell in love with the greatest city in the world!  I especially loved the old architecture (since my Dad is an architect I think all of kids have an eye that is drawn to it on some level!) mixed in with the new and how NYC worked to protect the integrity of the old while advancing forward.  I loved that NYC holds some rich history, both past and present.  I loved that something about the city made me feel brave, emboldened to do or try things I never had before.  I loved that the traffic and the people and the noise didn't stress me out but rather energized me.  I loved discovering that Broadway was small and not large like everyone thinks.  I loved the walking, the train, the community feel that was present in such a large city.  What I loved then I still do and every time I go back I just soak it all in.  I feel so fortunate that I have the chance to go more often than those who get to go once or twice in their lifetime.  I'm grateful my siblings have set down roots there! :)  There are days when I miss NYC, almost as much as I miss Kenya.  There are days when I am missing it that I will have milk in my coffee instead of cream and search out a salt bagel, even though it is never as good, and then text my brothers and sister and tell them I love them and am thinking of them. 

I guess you could say that I too live in a New York State Of Mind at times.  :) 

New York State Of Mind (Live in Tokyo)

My NYC fam!  (L-R) Bradley, Paul, sis-in-law Rebecca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships