Skip to main content

Exposure

This intentional gratefulness project is tougher than I thought.  It shouldn't be.  But it is.  In theory being grateful everyday sounds like a "duh moment."  In reality when I can't come up with a single thing to be grateful for something ugly in me is exposed.
The ungratefulness I carry in me is exposed.  The entitlement issues I'm guessing I still have are exposed. The "downer debbie" part of me comes to the surface.  The lack of joy and trust in God make an appearance.  I think my struggles with depression are also exposed when I find it difficult to verbalize even one thing I am grateful for.  I know that one way to combat the mild depression is to exercise gratefulness and when I can't seem to do it that's a red flag in my spirit.  And the truth of the matter is lately I have been struggling with some mild depression again.  If you know me well enough you have seen the signs - the lack of response time to phone calls, texts, FB messages, emails, etc.  My inability to post on the 365 everyday.  My withdrawal from social things.  I know what I need to do to keep the pit from swallowing me but I still struggle with following through on doing those things.  That was one reason for the Gratitude Attitude 365, to help me keep present and grateful in the midst of the heaviness my heart is walking through.
Ann Voscamp kept a running list throughout her days of her "1000 Gifts" (a friend of hers had asked her to jot down 1000 things she was grateful for.) and I thought I could do that but turns out I can't.  I've got too much else to keep track of.  So I'm going to keep doing what I have been, staying alert and aware to the small and large of my days and seeking out the grateful moments weaved within.
Thanks for listening, thanks for engaging and sharing your grateful moments (I LOVE that interaction - keep it coming!), thanks for being a part of my days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships