Skip to main content

Day 64: Africa

My Mama is arriving at the airport in Denver right about now and will soon be boarding a plane that will take her to another plane that will take her to Africa.  I've taken a similar journey.  Perhaps you remember my journeys to Africa, perhaps you are new to me and don't know.  (If that's the case click here to start my story about Africa.)  Regardless today I find myself "in" Africa in my thoughts and heart.  In fact, lately I've been having dreams about all my beloved friends in Africa in which we are together.  This past Saturday night I got to have some face time with a dear friend from Kenya, whom I will see again next week.  Bits of sunshine.  My Mama couldn't find room in her luggage for me so I'll have to be content with staring at the picture of the carepoint where she will be in Swaziland and fighting back the green-eyed monster that I can't be there.  I'm grateful my Mama gets to visit a continent that has become a part of my heart.  I'm grateful for Africa.  Africa has been the birth place of freedom in my personal and spiritual life.  That's a lot of pressure for a continent to provide but it happened.  Doesn't happen that way for everyone, it may not for my Mama, but it did for me.  Sometimes in my daydreams I can smell the air in Kenya, I can close my eyes and see the people I have met or passed by, I can hear the Kenyans and the mzungu worshiping God together, each in their own language.  Sometimes I cry for the longing to return and the missing of a community near and dear to my heart.  But I don't despise any of it.  If I hadn't gotten on the plane the first time I wouldn't know how grateful I am for Africa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships