Skip to main content

The secret to strength

Do not be afraid to suffer.... it is from being shaken apart and not being destroyed that one becomes strong and courageous.  Laura Lewis Lanier

We shrink from suffering and with good reason, it's painful!  But suffering is the way our character gets built the best.  Suffering comes in all sorts of forms and what is suffering for me may not be for you.  The point is to allow it to weed out what isn't strength and courage in our characters and let true strength and courage be birthed in us.
A few years ago I went through a suffering.  Not physical but emotional.  Someone I trusted deeply betrayed me beyond the scope of my imagination.  (It wasn't Lanny!  Quit speculating - haha!)  This betrayal sent me into a tailspin.  Lanny and I were floored, we didn't know what to do or how to go about recovering me from this betrayal.  You could say it shook me apart.  I was laid wide open and all of my fears and insecurities were exposed.  That time of suffering was used in my life to purge those things from me and in its place was birthed strength and courage.  I became who I was really created to be.  The person who betrayed me came to regret that I think because I fought back in the ways I knew were appropriate and I should. (Yes, you can stand up for truth and you should when compelled.  But that's a whole different blog.  *grin*)
Before that time of suffering I would shrink back from it, fight against it, let it be known I wasn't a welcoming environment for suffering.  But since then, when it happened and I couldn't control it nor run from it, I "welcome" suffering.  I know what the outcome will be if I allow it to have its way.  It will shake me apart and expose what isn't really part of me and in the place of those false characteristics will arise what is supposed to be part of me - strength and courage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships