Skip to main content

Prayer of St Francis/Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace

Today's hymn is actually a Catholic one.  When I was a younger child I was in my church children's choir (I told you I could sing!) and we sang a song that contained the last few lines of today's hymn, "For it is giving that we receive, it is pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.  Make me an instrument of your peace, I want to know what it's like to follow you, when men look at me I want them to see the light of the world inside."  Darn it all if I can't find that song!  (And yes I already searched for it using those exact words...)  But anywho, it was my favorite song, still is actually.  I find myself humming it often. 
All three songs are based on St Francis of Assisi's influence on a life of faith.  Born into a wealthy family he grew up to reject wealth and take on a vow of poverty.  In addition he had a special love for the earth and God's creations.  He was a humble man whose thoughts on faith and his own life of faith has a far reaching influence to this day. 
His simple prayer of being available to God is what composed the song of the day today and the song I grew up singing and loving.  Today's hymn is also the cry of my own heart.  I ask God, daily, for the desire and strength to be his vessel. 

Lord, make me an instrument of thy Peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow Love.
Where there is injury, thy Pardon, Lord.
Where there is doubt, let there be Faith.

Oh Lord, make me an instrument of thy Peace.
Where there is despair, let me bring Hope.
Where there is darkness, let there be Light.
where there is sadness, let there be Joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek:
to be consoled, as to console,
to be understood, as to understand,
to be loved, as to love.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy Peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow Love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.

And it's in dying that we are born
to eternal life, to eternal life.
Lord, make me an instrument of thy Peace.
An instrument of thy Peace. Amen.

Prayer of St Francis (Sarah McLachlan)
Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace (Sinead O'Connor)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships