Skip to main content

Hurricane

I love this song!  Thanks to Beth who shot it my way!  I hadn't heard it before but as soon as I did I connected with it.  Immediately so many things came to mind as I read the lyrics and listened to it.  Interestingly enough one of my first thoughts was a contrast song that comes from Simon & Garfunkel.  "I Am A Rock" is a similar theme but with a very different response and outcome.  I also thought of Matthew 7:25-27 in which we are given a visual of what kind of house will withstand the storms of life.  With a sure and solid foundation we can withstand life.  Our walls may get knocked down, maybe they need to, but our foundation is what keeps us upright. 

I understand wall building for the purposes of making myself secure and safe.  Problem is those walls are usually poorly constructed and are built with shabby materials that I have gathered hastily and usually once they get knocked down mold and other bacteria is exposed.  Yuck.  What is the cause of hastily constructed walls?  Shame, rejection, fear, insecurities, anger, anything that keeps us locked up or isolated (much like an island is isolated, see my tie-in eh, eh? :) ).  In those cases the best thing to happen to us is the hand of God, perhaps in the form of a "hurricane", bringing about destruction of the poorly constructed barriers for the greater good.  Living with mold will eventually make you sick.  I'll let you chew on that for awhile and draw your own parallels! 

I've invited the hand of God into my life on several occasions for the sole purpose of renovating, for the purpose of knocking down my walls because I haven't had the courage or strength to do it myself.  Unlike Simon & Garfunkel I am not okay being an island...and truth be told I don't think they really are either.  We are created for relationship and community, nobody can be a rock or an island and feel nothing.  We all feel something and we all need others. 

Got walls?  Ask God for a hurricane!  :) 

Hurricane
I Am A Rock (Simon & Garfunkel)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships