Skip to main content

Day 362: Village People


Seriously?  Do *you* seriously think I am actually grateful for those Village People?!  I mean, YMCA is a catchy song but they aren't who I am talking about today.

To pull off an event of any kind - milestone birthday, wedding, graduation, whatever your big event is - takes a village of people.  And today I worked with a small village of people to pull off a wedding for some incredibly dear friends.  At 8 am this morning a bunch of us gathered to completely overhaul a backyard into a ceremony and reception space.  Btw, it's incredible to me what can be done AND undone in just a few short hours.  Now back to the point.  I didn't know probably 2/3 of the village people asking for direction from my friend, Amy, and I.  But because we all know the bride and groom in some way we were instantly connected by them and by our desire to see our friends have the day they envisioned.  Not only did these village people participate but there were so many others.  From the family members who loaned the backyard for the wedding to their next door neighbors who said parking could happen at their place to one of the bridesmaids husbands stepping up and being a total rock star for setup to the groom's parents who are hauling all the tables and chairs back to where they were borrowed from to the various people who baked desserts for the dessert bar to the friend who grew wildflowers in her garden all summer specifically for bouquets and to so many more who touched this day and its preparation in some way.  Some of my village people even helped this villager with special drinks *grin*.  It takes a village, I've done events like this enough times to know, and today I was struck with how grateful I am for these times when villages come together and do something for the ones they love.  Now I'm home, showered - thank you Jesus, feet elevated because they hurt really bad and are very swollen, a special drink in hand *grin*, and the village people who live with me helped me out today while I wasn't even here! So grateful for the Village People.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships