Skip to main content

To multitask or not?

Multitasking: The type A can handle more tasks at the same time than ordinary people . You can easily know that a person is Type A if you found that he is involved in at least five unrelated activities while performing well at them all.

Ha!  Okay, it's not so much a quote as a statement but it's my blog so I'm turning it into a quote for today!  :)  
So here's the deal. If there is someone in your life that multitasks well (ahem, moi) please don't assume they are doing it for any other reason except that's how they are wired.  They aren't doing it to show off or send some kind of message or even consciously!  Seriously I am unaware 99.9% of the time that I am even multitasking.  It is truly second nature to me and to others just like me.   I'm a firm believer that all Mom's are multitaskers for at least the part of their life that they are actively raising children.  They have to be!  Mom's have to be juggling many things at once when kids are being raised.  We get forced into multitasking.  For some of us we don't feel forced into it, for others of us it's a stretch. 
Lately I've been observing my own multitasking skills.  It's such second nature to me that I don't normally think about it but some events in my life have had me stop and look carefully at how I do it.  I realized I truly don't even think about it.  I just do what needs to be done and can switch back and forth as necessary and needed.  I wonder...does this cause others to perceive me as a "show off"?  Does it cause others to resent me, without even realizing they do, because tasks are effortless for me (for the most part)?  I don't know.  I'm just thinking through it all.  I'm trying to discern how I might be coming off.  It's all totally innocent on my part so perhaps it shouldn't be my concern.  I'm also having to breathe deep and recognize that not everyone in my life can multitask like I do and I need to extend grace.  We are all unique and have different strengths and I need to focus on and appreciate the strengths others possess and let the things they aren't as strong in fall away.  After all, people have to do the same thing with me.  I know that my multitasking, Type A personality drives some people in my life absolutely batty and they extend me grace so I need to be doing the same.   
How about you?  Are you a multitasker or not so much?  If you are a multitasker how have you had to extend grace to those who aren't?  If you aren't a multitasker how have you had to extend grace to those who are? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships