Skip to main content

Slivers

If only our tongues were made of glass, how much more careful we would be when we speak.  Shaun Shane (?)

Ever drop a glass?  It shatters into a million pieces and the smallest sliver is razor sharp.  It will inflict pain just as much, maybe if not more, as the big pieces.  The minute it brushes the skin the response is to pull back from the immediate pain.  You all are smart, you can figure out where I'm headed with this.  :)
If we could feel in our hearts the effect our sharp words have on the hearts of those we speak to then perhaps we wouldn't chose to speak with shards of glass.  If only our tongues became what we are about to speak.  It would change things.  Imagine if your tongue became the sliver of glass that is about to cut into another person's soul and before you spoke it cut your mouth.  You, I know I would, think twice about speaking at that point.  Think carefully. How can you say what may need to be said but it doesn't cut into the soul of someone and still gets the point across?
Oh I'm so NOT there with this.  I'm careless and too often sharp and the moment I say something cutting I immediately feel regret and try to backtrack.  But that's a problem too.  Cuts take time to heal.  So I try to be aware and speak words of healing rather than words of wounding.  Because the fact is that we can speak hard truths with kindness and healing.  Think about it, I know I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships