Skip to main content

Day 202: Soul Words

I'm grateful for soul words.  Words that help us explain what we are really feeling rather than giving a broad, generalized name to the feeling.  For example, happy.  "I feel happy."  That doesn't tell me much about why you feel happy or how you feel happy.  But if you say to me, "I feel delighted" I will probably be able to hone it a little more on your true feeling.  We use such a limited vocabulary when it comes to feelings.  I believe that this is due in part to the discomfort talking about feelings brings up.  Even talking about positive feelings seems to make us uncomfortable. A couple of years ago a counselor gave my hub and I a long list of words to use in place of the broad, general word.  It did make me think, but not enough to change the way I speak. And then in September (2013) I read a GREAT book called How We Love by Milan and Kay Yerkovich and in it they discuss soul words.  This time it stuck a little more.  (I'm a slow learner, *wink*) I decided that our children could also learn to use specific words to explain feelings rather than generalizations.  So one night a week we discuss a negative word and a positive word - the true definition and then an example of how we saw ourselves feel it over the past week. I'm hoping it helps all of us increase our vocabulary and our awareness of how we are truly feeling.  I'm grateful for these words that are helping us grow emotionally. Here's the list in case you are interested yourself!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships