Skip to main content

January 10, 2015

Bittersweet Chocolate Day
"Bittersweet chocolate" is chocolate liquor (or unsweetened chocolate) to which some sugar (less than a third), more cocoa butter, vanilla, and sometimes lecithin has been added. It has less sugar and more liquor than semisweet chocolate, but the two are interchangeable when baking. Bittersweet and semisweet chocolates are sometimes referred to as 'couverture'. Many brands now print on the package the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate (as chocolate liquor and added cocoa butter). The higher the percentage of cocoa, the less sweet the chocolate is. (Source)

I am a dark chocolate person myself, when I choose chocolate at all. But I do bake with bittersweet.
Recipes Using Bittersweet Chocolate

Houseplant Appreciation Day
Oh dear.  I do appreciate houseplants but I should never, never, never be a caretaker of them. EVER.


I unintentionally kill houseplants.  I have even managed to kill off the "unkillable" bamboo plant - twice!
Here are some recommendations I found but I still feel rather reluctant to put anything else through the torture of my "care."  8 Plants That Will Turn Your Black Thumb to a Green Thumb
If you like houseplants, have a thumb that can keep things alive, and have been considering purchasing some then here are 24 of the Easiest Houseplants You Can Grow.
Do house plants really have any benefits?  
Types of Houseplants That Clean Indoor Air

Cut Your Energy Costs Day
How to Reduce Your Energy Bill with No Cost or Sacrifice
10 Easiest Ways to Cut Your Energy Use in Half
More than 100 ways to save on your energy bill
Every little change adds up to big differences. Some of these ideas I practice already, not to cut energy costs but more because of preference! But others are a great idea and I'll be talking to the hub about implementing more energy cost saving measures in our home from today on.

Peculiar People Day (additional information)
Generally culture is negative about peculiarity.  However, I prefer to see peculiarity as a positive. Here's the definition of the word peculiar. Why would I choose to think of it as a positive?  Well, because years ago I committed to my memory a particular verse from the Bible, in the Amplified Version, in which God refers to his people as his peculiar possession. It struck me and has stuck with me since.  And when God uses the word peculiar he means it in a positive way, so I follow suit. Wondering about those verses I am referring to?  Here they are: Exodus 19:5Deuteronomy 14:2Deuteronomy 26:18Psalm 135:4Malachi 3:17Mark 4:34Titus 2:14, 1 Peter 2:9 (KJV)



Dwight from The Office is definitely peculiar.
Kramer from Seinfield was.
How about Phoebe from Friends?
Who else has been a peculiar character?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships