Skip to main content

Day 1: Daybreak


Today, and actually yesterday if I'm being completely honest, I am grateful for daybreak.  Yesterday I happened to be caught by day breaking and today I experienced it.  (The picture was taken yesterday, today I was electronics free.)
That moment when the black of the night sky is touched with a hint of deep blue.  And over the course of about a half hour the deep blue reaches up and erases the black and gives way to the bright blue of a fully risen sunny day.  Have you ever just sat and watched it happen?  (Yes it's early but worth it.)  The world, at least my immediate one, is quiet.  Holding its breath in anticipation of what the day may bring.  The slight breeze is stirring the air around me and prompting the trees to clap their hands, issuing an applause for the start of new day and new mercies.  (Darn it all if I can't take credit for that tree imagery, someone else brought it to me.)  At daybreak the quiet is soothing and gives me the space I need, that I crave actually.  It is cool, dark, it lacks the "noise" of the day (electronics, cars, dogs barking - don't even get me started on that one, work problems, relationship issues, worries, insecurities, radios, smart phones, yes even books), it makes me quiet my heart and soul and rest for a few moments in what is to come.  
I sat in the dark and cool of this morning, coffee in hand, and watched the day arrive.  The stars were shining, the moon was still glowing, and I had time to just be.  Rarely do I get time to be, I am always doing. My friend Shawnna posted a quote just yesterday that goes with my daybreak experience.  "At night our brains sort out our thoughts." (Dr. Caroline Leaf)  I find that while I sleep my brain does this very thing and when I wake I have clarity on things I was wrestling with the day before. This morning during daybreak I was able to let those now sorted thoughts absorb and settle in and I knew what I should do with some of them.  The "noise" of my days keeps me from being able to sort out my thoughts.  
The magic is broken just about the time this picture shows.  When the blush of the sun begins to edge out the blue the spell is broken and I head back inside to finish getting ready.  As I type this out the sky is light, the pink is still tinging the edges of the horizon and soon it will be bright and the "noise" of my day will be in full swing.  The half hour I took this morning to experience daybreak may make us late leaving the house today or I may not have all my make-up on for work but it was worth it.  For a half hour I had the quiet my soul craves.  
_______________________________________________________________________________

To compliment today's Gratitude Attitude:

(Jesus Calling - August 8)
I [God] speak to you from deepest heaven.  You hear Me in the depths of your being.  Deep calls unto deep.  You are blessed to hear Me so directly.  Never take this privilege for granted.  The best response is a heart overflowing with gratitude.  I am training you to cultivate a thankful mind-set.  This is like building your house on a firm rock, where life's storms cannot shake you.  As you learn these lessons, you are to teach them to others.  I will open up the way before you, one step at a time.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships