Skip to main content

Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Last night I was sitting in one of my favorite coffee shops and the owner put a playlist on that was like a soundtrack of my middle school years.  I was transported back in time.  This song kicked it off.  Oh did I love Tears For Fears. I think one of the reasons I loved them was because they were the first non-Oldies band I ever listened to.  Until 6th grade all I had ever heard was groups like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Temptations, well you get the picture!  :)  My first Tears For Fears song was, of course, Shout.  But last night when this started playing through the coffee shop and I found myself humming and singing along I realized I knew this song perhaps even better than Shout.  :)  (Of course, admittedly most anyone could sing Shout.  I mean how hard is it to sing "Shout Shout let it all out, things are the things I can do without, c'mon I'm talking to you so c'mon...") 
Tears For Fears, unbeknownst to me until I hit my adult years, was a highly political group.  They used their voices and music to tell others about their opinions about government at the time, social injustices, etc.  I am sure back in the day that they were popular and I was singing their tunes they caused controversy but I was blissfully unaware of it.  Politics is a sticky subject.  It sets people ablaze, it ruins relationships (because one or both parties can't seem to be grown ups and adhere to the 'agree to disagree' idea), it creates walls instead of tears them down, it prompts people to exercise self-righteousness.  Politics is a hard and fast game and usually you can't exit without some sort of injury.  I have a pretty hard and fast personal rule that I don't "do" politics with people - even with people I know agree with my views.  It's just too damaging.  So while Tears For Fears went out there and caused all their waves and made all their statements you'll never hear me do so.  I'll just be glad to listen to their music and be blissfully unaware of the underlying connotations! :)  Call it what you will - denial or smarts - but at 36 years old I do know a few things.  :)

Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 5, 2015

The Feast of Firstfruits & Easter Go for Broke Day If it scares you this is the day to go for it no matter what. One Day Without Shoes Day Today is to raise global awareness for children’s health and education.  Why shoes? Because shoes help protect from bacteria in the dirt, rusty nails, dirty needles and shoes enable feet to withstand the long distances most children in developing countries need to walk to get to school. Join TOMS One for One There is plenty of criticism out there for TOMS and its short term solutions. Critics don't even buy the "at least they are doing something" statement.  However, you have to start somewhere. And every bit of awareness helps something go from short term to long term.  We all have a part to play. Read a Road Map Day One of the many reasons I would stink at The Amazing Race is because I never did learn how to read a road map well.  I remember doing worksheets and class lessons on maps and I was able to skate by to pa

Affirmation Day 148

People can use anxiety to motivate themselves, study finds 3 Ways to Use Anxiety to Your Advantage How Anxiety Can Be Helpful

Affirmation Day 130

Healthy Relationships Signs Of Healthy Friendships